If you are like most people, you want to get in shape, lose weight, and look better. How do you do that? Simple, workout and eat at a calorie deficit. It’s the follow through that is difficult. Let me give you five little things you can do to shave off a few calories here and there. Small things ad up.
- Move. I’m sure you’ve heard it before. Take the stairs. Don’t park close to your building etc. It’s true, walking more often will help you burn a few extra calories each day. It is realistic to guestimate that you can burn an extra 100 calories per day if you park far away from your office building and you take the stairs.
- Drink Ice Water. It takes your more energy to heat up ice water to process than it does just cold water or a warm drink. Plus it is good for your body to stay hydrated.
- Weight Train. You’ve heard me say it again and again. Weight training is the best way to burn fat. Your metabolism is elevated for hours after weight training than if you just perform cardiovascular training.
- Gum. A lot of times people eat because they just need something in their mouth. Throw in a stick or two of sugar free gum instead. While it won’t burn calories directly, it will often detour you from eating something that you shouldn’t. It can also fill a little craving that you may have.
- Protein. Eat it. Not only is protein the building block of muscle, but it takes more work for your body to break down protein. It takes longer to digest and helps stabilize your blood sugar, which is a good thing. It can help so you don’t overeat later in the day. If you eat 100 calories in protein, it may only end up counting as 80 calories due to the thermogenic effect. Other foods such as grapefruit and celery are thought to be negative calorie foods, however there is no science that backs that up.
These five tips are just small things you can do. They are in no way designed to replace a solid weight training program and a properly calculated diet. Get your diet and workout program squared away first, and then worry about the details such as this.